Edgar Allan Poe's Manuscript Draws $300,000

Edgar Allan Poe's handwritten manuscript of a poem "The Conqueror Worm" has fetched a whopping $300,000 for its owners. Indeed, today I understand if I had my forefathers in the writing career. I could at least live a life of a luxury on their toil. Anyway, jokes apart.

Everyone is surprised by the amount, since its auctioneers were expecting no more than twenty thousand dollars. The Standard Times of New Bedford writes that the handwritten poem with Poe's signature was purchased on Saturday in Marion, about 50 miles south of Boston. A Rhode Island-based family since the 1920s owned the manuscript. 

The Literary Yard writes that the buyer has been given ten days to validate the authenticity of the manuscript and claim it legally. Furthermore, the curator of the Edgar Allan Poe Museum is believed to have said that the original manuscript was missing. I want to, thus clarify that the poem was already published but its manuscript was lost.

This is the benefit of holding old and original things. You never know when your luck will smile on you and make you rich in one go. This is an example that a writer dies hungry, skinny and ill but his offsprings and grandchildren live rich and famous. Ironical it may seem but is true. The Literary Yard carried another article where it decried the career of writing.

I can see the amount floating in front of my eyes. It's making me feel good, bad and awful. Will my grandchildren rejoice on my writing. I wonder. 

Comments